James Webb wrote a great article discussing the reasons of young people’s depression and how to overcome it.
Why do teenages get depressed?
(1) They confront 4 basic issues and cannot find the answer:
(2) Young people are able to consider the possibilities of how things might be, they tend to be idealists. But the world is not ideal, so they feel keenly the disappointment and frustration.
(3) They quickly spot the inconsistencies, arbitrariness and absurdities in society and in the behaviors of those around them.
(4) When they try to share these concerns with others, they are usually met with reactions ranging from puzzlement to hostility. They feel isolated from their peers.
(5) There simply aren’t enough hours in the day to develop all of the talents that they have.
(6) They quickly discover that their anger is futile. Anger that is powerless evolves quickly into depression.
(7.) The more they try to pull themselves out the depression, the more they become acutely aware that their life is finite and brief,